Saturday, December 17, 2005

Fourth Sunday of Advent

.




Once David had settled into his house and the Lord had given him rest from all the enemies surrounding him, the king said to the prophet Nathan, ‘Look, I am living in a house of cedar while the ark of God dwells in a tent’. Nathan said to the king, ‘Go and do all that is in your mind, for the Lord is with you’.
But that very night the word of the Lord came to Nathan:
‘Go and tell my servant David, “Thus the Lord speaks: Are you the man to build me a house to dwell in? I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be leader of my people Israel; I have been with you on all your expeditions; I have cut off all your enemies before you. I will give you fame as great as the fame of the greatest on earth. I will provide a place for my people Israel; I will plant them there and they shall dwell in that place and never be disturbed again; nor shall the wicked continue to oppress them as they did, in the days when I appointed judges over my people Israel; I will give them rest from all their enemies. The Lord will make you great; the Lord will make you a House. Your House and your sovereignty will always stand secure before me and your throne be established for ever.”’
2 Samuel 7:1-16


David was a King after God’s own heart, so God promised that his line would be king forever. But most of David’s successors were anything but a King after God’s own heart. The fortunes of Israel reflected this. But God had a plan.

He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David; he will rule over the House of Jacob for ever and his reign will have no end. Luke 1-32-33

He sent his own Son to be a man in the line of David. Who since he was God’s only begotten son would always be a King after God’s own heart.

It is this King, born in a manger, through whom we have access to the Father, who is our Lord and Savior.

All praise and glory to God for ever and ever!

No comments:

Copyright 2004-2012 - All rights reserved. All opnions are mine, except comments or quoted material - who else would want them. Site Meter